I haven't heard mention of Balloon Boy lately, but I have to admit, I was rather fascinated by that story. I mean, I'm not the world's best parent, but it does wonders for my ego when I see some of the nonsense that goes on. The day I locked Ellie in the car last week (quick review: power locks, "oh, CRAP!", Ellie wiggles out of her car seat and saves the day) deflated my parental ego back down to size, however.
Then I read the New York Times article about how I'm not supposed to yell at my kids and I had one single thought: maybe it's time I went back to work. Knowing that I lacked the motivation to find work in such a competitive market, however, I decided instead to try some of the suggested techniques to getting your kids to listen to you. Here's how it's been going:
"Ellie? Ellie? Ellie? It's time to put on your shoes, honey. Ellie? Excuse me, Ellie? ELLLLIIIIEEE!"
"Yes, Mom?"
So I'm really trying, honest I am. But I'm thinking I'll need to be on the same prescription as this NYT author in order to be truly successful. Oh, that's not fair; I guess some people are just naturally patient (damn them!)
Another news story that has piqued my interest is the one about the pilots who overshot their destination. WHAT?! I find it fascinating, horrifying, and truly unbelievable all at once (not unlike observing my kids at a restaurant). I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ends (hey, I don't have much going on these days).
Tomorrow is Owen's appointment with the allergy doctor. He's convinced himself that the doctor will report that he's allergic to me. Yes, I'm serious. Not only does he keep repeating his prediction, but he laughs hysterically at the prospect. Imagine... at one time I thought I'd be bringing this kid to his prom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ooooh...talk about a guilt-inducing article! Almost makes me relieved that I sometimes spanked instead. Who ARE these authors, and what kind of medication are they on? I did take hope in the sentence "if the parent is merely loud...the effect is minimal." Maybe there's hope yet - although all three of you did turn out pretty darn good in spite of what was probably a constant barrage of "yelling".
After spending some "quiet time" coloring with Ellie last time I was at your house, during which she yelled everything she had to say at top volume, I've wondered if maybe she needs her hearing tested? I had mine tested at the ENT yesterday... they locked me in a box to do the testing and I'm very claustrophobic so sometimes have strange reactions to small places. In this one, I started laughing. I tried to hide it but struggled. They probably thought my hearing was the least of my problems by the time I left there
I just read the article... so, while your kids are beating each other up over legos you are supposed to go make yourself a snack? hmmm... how much do they get paid for this advice?
I have no problem yelling at Jack, the only problem is it doesn't phase him...So the government can waterboard but we can't yell?? btw, didn't even attempt the article but I imagined what it said and feel I can now make informed and reactionary statements about it.
Post a Comment