One word could sum up the Baystate Half Marathon for me: COLD. And wet. And rainy. And windy. And just a teeny, tiny bit miserable. Possibly a bit more miserable for my cheering section (Mike, Owen, Ellie, Beth, Jay, and Jack), who stood out in the rain and cheered me on. At least I got to run, which kept me a tad warmer. (A tad). So thanks, guys - I'm not sure I would have finished without you.
The first three miles of my run were actually quite enjoyable. There's something about running with hundreds of other people, and past cold, wet spectators enthusiastically ringing cowbells that makes it all seem effortless. That is, until the rain and wind kick in. Then it pretty much sucks. But I still managed to keep my spirits up, at least until I reached the half-way point, where I noticed I was being passed at an alarming rate. Time for some Gu, water, a good nose-blow, and then I'll get my second wind. Right? Well, not exactly. Did I mention it was really raining at this point? I started thinking about my right knee, and how it tightens up in the cold... probably not the most useful thing to be thinking about at that point. I stopped worrying about my knee towards the end, when my gut started to cramp up. At that point I hated the city of Lowell, hated the rain, hated my soaked and now useless gloves, hated Vanilla Bean Gu, but loved my new Gortex jacket (best $69 I ever spent). And loved getting a high-five from Jack as I rounded the last corner and turned into LeLacheur Park for the finish. And really loved that cold beer and steak dinner I had last night.
So it may have been my first and last half-marathon. Then again, who knows? I do get antsy for a challenge sometimes. A trait that apparently runs in the family... Owen asked me this morning if I could find a road race for us to do together. Don't panic - nothing over a 10K for this kid. 10 miler, tops.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congratulations! What an accomplishment. How about you and Owen doing a relay...If that doesn't exist, you could organize one in Groton for Moms/Dads/kids.
Post a Comment