Owen and I went Christmas shopping together on Sunday. No big deal, right? But wait -- it gets better. He brought his allowance jar and, upon receiving a (rather strong) suggestion that he use a portion of his savings to buy a gift for someone in the family (or a Toys for Tots gift, which didn't seem to excite him much), he chose to buy for his sister.
When we walked in the mall, he led me directly to the Disney Store. Anticipating that he would steer me toward the Toy Story and Wall-E sections, I mentally planned my redirection strategy. But I didn't need it. He brought me right over to the princesses, and started reviewing all of his Cinderella options. (Cinderella is, of course, Ellie's favorite; but I couldn't help being surprised that Owen knew that).
Anyway, he picked out the perfect gift (the one that I would have chosen for Ellie, too) and I swear, I didn't make even the slightest suggestion the entire time. He handed over his money to the cashier and, when she tried to give me the change, I said, "nope, give it to him. It's his allowance money, and he used it to buy a gift for his sister!". I don't brag often, but I sure do enjoy it when I do.
As I retold this story later over dinner with friends, Owen and his buddy Henry proceeded to jump off of chairs, wrestle each other to the ground, and cause a general disruption to the entire floor of the restaurant. But, we had a good morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's really sweet! Remember last year when I took him shopping and he got her princess underwear? Now you just have to make sure that she gets him something good too :-)
Post a Comment