Saturday, July 4, 2009

"It's Not Fair"

"It's not fair" is Ellie's new favorite song. And she sings it constantly. The word "fair" has this unique, toddler, dare I say "whiny" tone to it. It's not too terribly hard to imagine, I'm sure. I mean the girl's cute (damn cute), but the "It's not fair" routine can get old. Real fast.

So that you can see how mistreated this child is, and the unfair existence she has to endure, here's an overview of her day along with her commentary:

We spent the morning in Harvard which, incidentally, has the most outstanding 4th of July lineup. It started with The Great Harvard Road Race (which I was convinced would turn out to be an overstatement, but which was actually quite accurate), followed by a surprisingly awesome parade. Lots of candy was thrown out to the crowd during the parade, and the kids were immediately hopped up on way too much sugar (but Ellie didn't get any blue candy, and that wasn't fair). They also caught a couple of beaded necklaces that were thrown from a float (but Owen got two, and Ellie only got one, and that wasn't fair). At the very end of the parade were all of the kids who'd entered their decorated bicycles (note to self: begin decorating the kids' bikes for next year's parade). It was very cool (but Ellie didn't bring her bike, and that wasn't fair). Finally, onto lunch followed by the famous pie eating contest, which we're pretty sure Owen won. He was quite proud of his performance (frankly, so was I). His only complaint was that the pie didn't have any sugar in it (doubtful). Ellie was a little too young for this event, which she found to be -- you guessed it -- terribly unfair.

In her defense, I have to say that you can get away with saying just about anything when you're wearing an adorable little red, white and blue sundress on the 4th of July. Well, she can anyway. I'm pretty sure I can't.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Tell Ellie that I'm here for her any time she wants to talk... as a middle child, I certainly understand about things not being fair :-)

It's been ages since a blog update... I want to see pics of the new pool!!