Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Week in Review

Mike tells me it's time to update my blog, so here's my update:

Rain, rain, rain, whining, rain, fighting, lots of running (me, not the kids), some yelling, and... more rain.

Yesterday I brought them to one of those indoor hands-on interactive places. I paid my 20 bucks and yelled, "RUN, kids, RUN!" They ran, and climbed, and painted, and jumped, and had a blast. At the end, Owen was so tired he was almost crying. I said to myself, "my work here is done" and plunked them into the car where they dozed off almost immediately. As soon as we walked in the door, the bickering started up again. How they still had the energy for that, I'll never know. To sum up the week, they've been fighting like a couple of, well, siblings. And the rain has NOT helped.

So last night, over a glass of wine, Mike and I contemplated our plans for this camping adventure that we're supposed to be leaving for on Sunday. The forecast is calling for a "few showers" every day next week, with highs in the mid-70's. Did I mention I'm a fair-weather camper? And did I mention that we've all been driving each other absolutely nuts? So the camping trip is off. (Wine always makes me think so clearly). Instead, we're going to stay at the Red Jacket Resort in North Conway, and spend a day at Story Land. If you've heard or read a horrible review of this hotel, please do not share it; the reservation is non-refundable. But no matter how awful the hotel, it will be dry. And they have one of those indoor water parks which I figure should allow for, oh I don't know, about 10-15 minutes of bicker-free fun.

Oh, you know I'm exaggerating (slightly). They haven't been that bad. Let me try to end on a good note.

(Still thinking).

Okay, there's this. Yesterday in the bouncy house, Ellie got trampled by an older boy and started crying. Owen stopped his bouncing, took her by the hand, and led her over to me. I think I even heard him say, "are you okay, Ellie?"

That's all I've got.

1 comment:

John and Vicki said...

What a fun week! That sounds much better than sitting in a damp tent to me. The hotel used to be very nice...I think it still is. And, it's BIG - you can put Owen at one end of a hallway and Ellie at the other. They probably won't even be able to see one another, much less bicker.