Tuesday, May 19, 2009
It's Gonna Be a Long Summer
I have decided that I have as much patience for sibling bickering as I do for whining. Which is to say, I have no patience for sibling bickering. Some days it just doesn't stop. You wouldn't believe what they can argue over. Which would be fine if each argument didn't end with either tears or "I'M TELLING MOM!!!!" (or both). So yesterday I yelled. Which is a ridiculous and pointless technique; have you ever read in a parenting book, "it's an extremely good idea to use yelling to end yelling"? No, I haven't either. And of course by the time I went to bed I was feeling guilty for having yelled. Feeling guilty is a skill I have nearly perfected as a parent. So I went in to check on the kids and observe how adorable and sweet they are. While they're sleeping, that is. That's when I noticed the framed picture that Ellie had curled up with. It was a shot of her as a baby, looking up at Owen (who had his arm around her) in a "Me and My Big Brother" frame. Should that have made me feel better, or worse?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
1. The four words guaranteed to push me over the edge were "I'm gonna tell Mom!"
2. Of course you should feel guilty. We used to have a saying: "You're the mother. OF COURSE it's your fault." Isn't everyone else, except you, perfect?
3. Better. Definitely better. After all, look at you and Beth and Jay today.
4. We love you even if you're not perfect!
I said to Anne that at least they haven't called Mike home from work to break up a fight, like we were known to do to Dad every now and then
I remember a discussion that Mom and I had at one time that went something like....
I have decided that I have as much patience for sibling bickering as I do for whining. Which is to say, I have no patience for sibling bickering. Some days it just doesn't stop. You wouldn't believe what they can argue over. Which would be fine if each argument didn't end with either tears or "I'M TELLING MOM!!!!" (or both). So yesterday I yelled. Which is a ridiculous and pointless technique; have you ever read in a parenting book, "it's an extremely good idea to use yelling to end yelling"? No, I haven't either. And of course by the time I went to bed I was feeling guilty for having yelled. Feeling guilty is a skill I have nearly perfected as a parent. So I went in to check on the kids and observe how adorable and sweet they are. While they're sleeping, that is.
Why does it sound somewhat familiar???
What comes around, goes around...
Post a Comment